Principles are fundamental truths upon which a system of belief operates. Principles are not just guessing, but are based on reproducible guidelines.
Functional Medicine is guided by six core principles:
- Biochemical Individuality: Each human being is unique at every level of being and that includes physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually
- Patient-centered rather than a disease-centered approach to treatment
- Search for a dynamic balance among the internal and external factors in your body, mind and spirit.
- Realization of the web-like interconnectedness of internal physiological factors. Yes, your cells communicate in an amazing community where each has its role to play in repairing and replenishing themselves to keep you in perfect health.
- Health is a positive and vital reality…not just the absence of disease.
- Promotion of organ reserve to enhance health span, not just life span of each patient. Example: the ability of an organ to function beyond its usual needs like your heart may be able to pump 10 times more blood than is needed.
These are principles that promote health in every person. These are solid principles that any system of health care should embrace.
At Healing Unleashed, we dedicate our healing techniques to these fundamental principles.