Are You Digesting Your Food?
That may seem like a silly question, but the truth is that many of us are not adequately digesting proteins, fats and carbohydrates.
What are some of the symptoms of maldigestion?
- Bloating after eating
- Greasy, foul-smelling stools
- Diarrhea after eating
- Heart burn
- A sense of fullness after eating
- Excessive belching immediately after eating
- Multiple food allergies/or sensitivities
- Undigested food in stool
What are some of the causes of maldigestion?
- Not chewing food well
- Low stomach hydrochloric acid (long term use of protein pump inhibitors, like Prilosec)
- Insufficient pancreatic enzymes (digestive enzymes)
- Gall bladder disease
- Injury to the mucosal lining of the gastrointestinal tract
- Inflammatory foods (the typical American diet)
Our goal in functional medicine to correct these causes by a careful dietary history, the use of certain diets like the elimination food plan, and removing foods that can cause inflammation in the gut. We can do comprehensive stool analysis to check your digestion, look for inflammatory markers, assess your health gut bacteria and identify any organisms that are pathogenic.
If you aren’t digesting your foods, you aren’t absorbing the vital nutrients from food. That leads to multiple nutrient deficiencies that affect your overall health.